Belk’s Project Hometown Hero Contest
No purchase or payment necessary to nominate, be nominated, or win.
A purchase does not increase your chances of winning.
Common Terms Used in these rules:
- Eligible Nominator:The person completing and submitting the nomination form (“Eligible Nominator”)
- Eligible Nominee:The person described by the Nominator in the nomination form (“Eligible Nominee”)
- Potential Winner:The Nominee who is selected as Belk’s Project Hometown Hero prior to eligibility confirmation (“Potential Winner”)
- Official Winner:Once the Nominator’s and the Nominee’s eligibility have been confirmed and Nominee has agreed to attend the Belk Bowl, the Potential Winner will be announced as the official winner (“Official Winner”).
- Eligible Organization:The organization (Non-profit Organization [501c3], School, Government, Church, Other) named in the Official Winner’s nomination form that will receive a $25,000 donation (“Eligible Organization”).
- ELIGIBILITY FOR NOMINEE AND NOMINATOR: Open only to legal United States residents residing in AL, AR, FL, GA, KY, LA, MD, MO, MS, NC, OK, SC, TN, TX, VA and WV who are 18 (19 in AL) years of age or older at time of Nomination.
PLEASE NOTE: Eligible Nominee must be affiliated with the Eligible Organization as a volunteer, employee, donor or board member. Or have prior involvement with the Eligible Organization.
Employees of Belk, Inc. (the “Sponsor”), Bespoke Sports & Entertainment,and their affiliates, subsidiaries, advertising and promotion agencies, and suppliers involved in this promotion (“Promotional Participants”), and each of their respective employees, shareholders, directors, officers, members and agents, and each of their immediate family members (mother, father, sister, brother, husband, wife, daughter, son, step-father, step-mother, step-daughter, step-son, step brother, step-sister, half-brother, half-sister and spouse’s of each) and/or those living in the same household of each are not eligible to Nominate, be a Nomineeor win a prize. Void outside AL, AR, FL, GA, KY, LA, MD, MO, MS, NC, OK, SC, TN, TX, VA, WV and where prohibited by law. All federal, state and local laws and regulations apply.
- CONTEST NOMINATION PERIOD: The contest nomination period begins at 12:00:00 a.m. (Eastern Time) on November 1, 2019 and ends at 11:59:59 p.m. ET on November 15, 2019 (“Nomination Period”). Bespoke Sports & Entertainment’s computer is the official time-keeping device for this contest.
- CONTEST OVERVIEW: The purpose of this Contest is to collect stories about Eligible Nominees who are deserving of being selected as “Belk’s Project Hometown Hero”. Launched in December 2017, Project Hometown was created to lift up communities, help families thrive, and empower our stores and associates to make a difference. For this Contest, we are inviting Eligible Nominators to create a story explaining who their Eligible Nominee is and why they should be recognized as “Belk’s Project Hometown Hero”, details in rule #4. Judging criteria can be found in rule #6.
- HOW TO NOMINATE: An Eligible Nominator can nominate themselves or nominate and Eligible Nominee that the Eligible Nominator personally knows.
To submit a nomination, during the Nomination Period, go to www.belkprojecthometown.com(“Site”) and:
- Complete the Contest nomination form with all required information, including the question:
- Why should your Eligible Nominee be selected as Belk’s Project Hometown Hero?
- Upload a :45 second video explaining why your Eligible Nominee should be recognized as “Belk’s Project Hometown Hero”
- Indicate that Eligible Nominator has read, accepted and agreed to be bound by these Official Rules
- Indicate that Eligible Nominator agrees that by submitting an Nomination the Sponsor can reproduce, copy, publish, post, display, adapt, exhibit, edit and/or otherwise use or reuse (without limitation as to when or to the number of times used) your Nomination. (collectively, a – b shall be referred to as “Nomination”)
An Eligible Nominator can submit only one (1) Nomination for themselves and only one (1) Nomination per Eligible Nominee (another person). Subsequent Nominations received from an Eligible Nominator will be disqualified. Once a Nomination is submitted, it may not be edited or resubmitted. No correspondence regarding the screening or verification of Nominations will be undertaken by Sponsor, except as specified in these Official Rules.
- Complete the Contest nomination form with all required information, including the question:
- ADDITIONAL NOMINATION REQUIREMENTS: Eligible Nominator represents that his or her Nomination(s) conforms to the Nomination Guidelines and acknowledges that Sponsor may, at its sole discretion, disqualify him or her from the Contest if Sponsor determines, in its sole discretion, that his or her Nomination(s) fails to conform to the Nomination Guidelines or any other provision of these Official Rules.
- Video must be in English;
- Video must be in AVI, FLV, MKV, MOV, MPG, MP4, OGV, WMV or WEBM format, 250 MB or less and not exceed 45 seconds;
- Must be your own original, unpublished work which is owned by you and has not been submitted to any other third party, including another promotion, sweepstakes or contest;
- Must be non-confidential and has been legally created (i.e., does not violate any laws or regulations in the making of the Nomination);
- Must be suitable for publication in a public forum (as determined by Sponsor in its sole discretion);
- Must not disparage Sponsor, Bespoke Sports & Entertainment, Eligible Organization, Nominee or any other person or party affiliated with the promotion and administration of this contest;
- Nomination cannot communicate messages or images inconsistent with the positive images and/or goodwill to which Sponsor wishes to associate;
- Must not in any way mention, refer or otherwise allude to the name, logo or trademark of any entity, individual, product or brand other than the organization named in the Nomination;
- Must not contain material that is inappropriate, indecent, lewd, pornographic, obscene, hateful, tortious, defamatory, slanderous or libelous (as determined by Sponsor at Sponsor’s sole discretion);
- Must not contain, facilitate, reference or use material that promotes bigotry, racism, hatred or harm against any group or individual or promotes discrimination based on race, gender, ethnicity, religion, nationality, disability, sexual orientation, political orientation, citizenship, ancestry, marital status or age (as determined by Sponsor at Sponsor’s sole discretion);
- Must not contain any viruses, spyware, malware or other malicious components that are designed to harm the functionality of a computer in any way; and
- Must not contain material that is unlawful, in violation of or contrary to the laws or regulations in any jurisdiction where Nomination is created.
By submitting a Nomination, Eligible Nominator irrevocably grants Sponsor and their respective affiliates, legal representatives, assigns, agents and licensees, the unconditional and perpetual right and permission to reproduce, copy, publish, post, display, adapt, exhibit, edit and/or otherwise use or reuse (without limitation as to when or to the number of times used) the Eligible Nominator’s Nomination, as well as to use Eligible Nominator’s video and/or statements regarding his/her participation in this contest in any and all media without limitation as to time or territory, and without additional compensation or approval from the Eligible Nominator, Eligible Nominee or any other party. Eligible Nominator and Nominee waive intellectual property rights, privacy/publicity rights or other legal or moral rights that might preclude the Sponsor’s use of the Nomination and agrees not to sue or assert any claim against the Sponsor for the use of the Nomination video and/or statements. Certain Nominations may be used by Sponsor and its agents for socializing and promotional purposes during the Nomination Period. Being selected for socializing and/or promotional purposes does not imply or guarantee selection as a prize winner in the contest.
- JUDGING & WINNER NOTIFICATION: On or about 11/15/19 – 11/22/19, a qualified panel of judges selected by Sponsor in its sole discretion will judge all eligible Nominations submitted. All Nominations will be judged based on the following criteria:
- Community impact– how well does the video describe what Nominee does for the Organization that has an impact on his/her community and how the Organization has an impact on his/her community. (50%)
- Compelling Story – Does the Nominee have a compelling story that drives their involvement in the community. (25%)
- Originality/Creativity – is the video submission creative/original (25%)
The highest scoring Nomination will be deemed the Winning Nomination (provided a sufficient number of eligible Nominations are received). In the event of a tie, the tie will be broken based upon the highest score in criteria #1 and continuing thereafter in each criterion until the tie is broken. The winning Nomination (Nominator, Nominee & Organization) is subject to verification of eligibility. Decisions of judges are final. The Potential Winner (the Nominee named in the Nomination) will be notified by email or phone. Potential Winner must sign and return a Declaration of Eligibility/Release of Liability Form and W-9 within ten (10) days of notification. Noncompliance within this time period will result in disqualification. If documents are not returned on a timely basis, or if prize notification or prize is returned as non-deliverable, or if the Potential Winner is found to be ineligible or not in compliance with these Official Rules, prize will be forfeited in its entirety. The Official Winner will be issued an IRS Form 1099 for the ARV of the prize and is advised to seek independent counsel regarding the tax implications of the prize.
ONE (1) PRIZE & APPROXIMATE RETAIL VALUE (“ARV”): The Official Winner will receive a trip for Official Winner and one (1) guest to Charlotte, NC, two (2) seats in the Grid Iron Club at the 2019 Belk Bowl, scheduled to take place on December 31, 2019 at Bank of America Stadium, Sponsor-specified food and drink at the Grid Iron Club and on-field recognition during the 2019 Belk Bowl. Trip includes round trip coach airfare from a major airport near Official Winner’s residence (as determined by the Sponsor) for Official Winner and guest to Charlotte, NC, and 2 nights/3 days hotel accommodations at a Sponsor-specified hotel (one room, double occupancy). ARV: $2,290 (Actual retail value will depend on airfare fluctuations and Official Winner’s point of departure/return. Any difference between stated approximate retail value and actual value of prize will not be awarded). All other travel-related expenses, including but not limited to parking, ground transportation, additional meals, luggage fees, gratuities and incidental hotel and personal expenses are the sole responsibility of the Official Winner. Trip must be taken on dates specified by Sponsor or prize will be forfeited in its entirety. Official Winner and guest must travel on the same itinerary and are solely responsible for having all necessary identification and/or travel documents (e.g., a valid U.S. driver’s license or Passport) required for travel. If the Official Winner lives within 250 miles of Charlotte, NC, a travel stipend of $250 will be awarded in lieu of airfare. Seat location at the game is at Sponsor’s sole discretion. Sponsor is not responsible if the game is postponed or cancelled after ticketing of prize for any reason, in whole or in part. In that event, Official Winner will receive remainder of the prize. No compensation will be paid in lieu of the ticket portion of prize. If Official Winner is between 18-21 years of age, guest must be 21 years of age or older. If guest of Official Winner is deemed a minor in his/her state of residence, Official Winner must be minor’s parent/legal guardian. Official Winner is solely responsible for the actions of the guest who accompany him/her to the Belk Bowl and by accepting prize, Official Winner agrees to indemnify and hold harmless the Released Parties (defined in #7 below) for any and all claims, liability, damages, costs or expenses arising from the actions of his/her guest during the trip. If Official Winner elects to travel without a guest, no additional compensation will be awarded in lieu thereof.
Prize consists of only the items specifically listed as the prize. Sponsor reserves the right to substitute any portion of the prize with a prize of equal or greater value should the any portion of the advertised prize become unavailable for any reason. No substitution, cash redemption or transfer of prize by Official Winner permitted. Belk Bowl tickets are not redeemable or exchangeable for cash and are subject to all terms and conditions of use as established by issuer.
- LIMITATIONS ON LIABILITY: Released Parties are not responsible for illegible, lost, late, damaged, destroyed, inaccurate, delayed, incomplete, unintelligible, non-delivered, misdirected, stolen Nominations; or for incomplete, inaccurate, lost, interrupted or unavailable network, satellite, telephone networks or lines, cellular towers or equipment (including handsets), computer online systems, computer equipment, software, viruses or bugs, servers or providers, or other connections, availability or accessibility; or for unauthorized access to, or alteration of Nominations; or miscommunications, failed computer, telephone, cellular, satellite, or cable transmissions, lines or other technical failure; or for jumbled, scrambled, delayed, or misdirected transmissions, computer hardware or software malfunctions, failures or difficulties; or for any other errors of any kind, whether human, technical, mechanical, electronic or network, including, without limitation, any errors which may occur in connection with the administration of the contest or in any contest-related materials; or for the incorrect or inaccurate capture of Nomination or other information, or the failure to capture any such information. Persons who tamper with or abuse any aspect of the contest or Web site, as solely determined by the Sponsor, will be disqualified (and all associated Nominations will be void), and Sponsor reserves the right to terminate such Eligible Nominator’s eligibility to participate in this or any other promotion offered by Sponsor. Nominations generated by robotic, programmed, script, macro or other automated means or by any means which subvert the Nomination process will be disqualified. Released Parties are not responsible for injury or damage to participants’ or to any other person’s computer related to or resulting from participating in this contest or downloading materials from the Web site. Should any portion of the contest be, in Sponsor’s sole opinion, compromised by virus, worms, bugs, non-authorized human intervention or other causes which, in the sole opinion of the Sponsor, corrupt or impair the administration, security, fairness or proper play, or submission of Nominations, Sponsor reserves the right at its sole discretion to suspend or terminate the contest, and judge the Nominations received prior to action taken or as otherwise deemed fair and appropriate by Sponsor. Without limiting the release provided above, and for greater certainty, Released Parties will not be liable for (a) any incomplete or inaccurate information, whether caused by wireless device users or by any equipment or programming associated with or utilized in the contest, or by any technical or human error which may occur in the processing of Nominations; (b) the theft, destruction or unauthorized access to, or alteration of, Nominations; (c) any problems with or technical malfunctions of telephone networks or lines, computer online systems, servers or providers, computer equipment, software, viruses or bugs; (d) any failure of any message to be received by or from Sponsor for any reason including but not limited to traffic congestion on the Internet or wireless waves or at any Web site or combination thereof; or (e) damage to a participant’s or other person’s system or equipment occasioned by participation in this contest. In the event of a dispute as to ownership of the winning Nomination, the owner of the e-mail address associated with the Nomination will be deemed the Nominator and their Nominee the Official Winner, subject to compliance with these Official Rules.
IN NO EVENT WILL THE RELEASED PARTIES BE RESPONSIBLE OR LIABLE FOR ANY DAMAGES OR LOSSES OF ANY KIND, INCLUDING DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, CONSEQUENTIAL OR PUNITIVE DAMAGES ARISING OUT OF YOUR ACCESS TO AND USE OF THE WEB SITE OR DOWNLOADING FROM AND/OR PRINTING MATERIAL DOWNLOADED FROM WWW.BELK.COM, OR ANY OTHER WEB SITE ASSOCIATED WITH THIS CONTEST. WITHOUT LIMITING THE FOREGOING, EVERYTHING ON THE WEB SITE IS PROVIDED “AS IS” WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. SOME JURISDICTIONS MAY NOT ALLOW LIMITATIONS OR EXCLUSION OF LIABILITY FOR INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES OR EXCLUSION OF IMPLIED WARRANTIES SO SOME OF THE ABOVE LIMITATIONS OR EXCLUSIONS MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU. CHECK YOUR LOCAL LAWS FOR ANY RESTRICTIONS OR LIMITATIONS REGARDING THESE LIMITATIONS OR EXCLUSIONS.
- GOVERNING LAW: Except where prohibited by law, all issues concerning the construction, validity and enforcement of these Official Rules, or the rights and obligations of the Eligible Nominator and Sponsor, shall be construed and governed by the laws of the state of North Carolina, without regard to conflicts of law. All suits or claims brought in connection with this contest must be brought in a state or federal court in Charlotte, North Carolina.
- NAME OF WINNER: For the name of the winner, available after 12/31/19, send a separate, self-addressed, stamped (#10) envelope to: Hometown Hero Contest Name of Winner Request, PO Box 27154, Golden Valley, MN 55427-0175 to be received by 12/31/19.
- SPONSOR: Belk, Inc. 2801 W. Tyvola Road, Charlotte, NC 28217.
ABBREV Rules for On-line/Email
NO PURCHASE NECESSARY TO NOMINATE, BE NOMINATED OR WIN THIS CONTEST. Open only to Nominators and Nominees who are legal U.S. residents in AL, AR, FL, GA, KY, LA, MD, MO, MS, NC, OK, SC, TN, TX, VA and WV who are 18+ (19+ in AL) at time of Nomination.PLEASE NOTE: Eligible Nominee must also be affiliated with the Eligible Organization as a volunteer, employee, donor, board member. Or have prior involvement with the Eligible Organization.Void where prohibited. Contest begins at 12:00:00 a.m. ET on 11/01/19 and ends at 11:59:59 p.m. ET11/15/19. Subject to the full Official Rules. Sponsor: Belk, Inc., Charlotte, NC.
ABBREV Rules for Print
NO PURCHASE NECESSARY TO NOMINATE, BE NOMINATED OR WINTHIS CONTEST. Open only to Nominators and Nominees who are legal U.S. residents in AL, AR, FL, GA, KY, LA, MD, MO, MS, NC, OK, SC, TN, TX, VA and WV who are 18+ (19+ in AL) at time of Nomination. PLEASE NOTE: Eligible Nominee must also be affiliated with the Eligible Organization as a volunteer, employee, donor, board member. Or have prior involvement with the Eligible Organization. Void where prohibited. Contest begins at 12:00:00 a.m. ET on 11/01/19 and ends at 11:59:59 p.m. ET11/15/19. Subject to the full Official Rules available at www.belkprojecthometown.com. Sponsor: Belk, Inc., Charlotte, NC.